Attractions of Khujand
Khujand fortress and Historical Museum of Archeology and Fortification (Historical Museum of Sughd region)
"The most interesting place of Khujand is the citadel. To it is necessary to climb through a small urban boulevard on quite a steep cliff. Fortress, this was considered in Bukhara impregnable, and indeed in bad guns, what could possess Eastern khans, take it was not easy ...> <... In one corner of the fortress rises, quite significantly over all her walls and towers - a special fort, a kind of citadel in the citadel. With its flat terrace hanging over the abyss of the Syr Darya, offers a wide view of the surroundings and the most Khujand.> (EL Markov, "Russia in Central Asia." 1901.).
Khujand fortress or as it is called, "the heart of the city and a symbol of courage," located on the left bank of the Sughd Province on area of 20 hectares. It was founded back in the VI-V centuries BC. This ancient 2500-year-old building, was originally surrounded by a wide and deep moat, around the inside perimeter of which later were erected walls. An interesting fact is that in fact the city and the citadel of the ancient Khujand had additional walls, also protected by moats. Monolit of the centuries.
According to sources of IX-X kuhendiz or the ancient fortress originally was constructed solely of clay - dense and thick pakhsa surrounded bulk shaft, but later it was fortified wall of substantial thickness of adobe.
Fortress as part of the fortification system of the city has reached to the present days, having undergone a series of expansions, destruction and restoration. Today, in the premises of the eastern ramparts, restored in 1999, it operates Historical museum of archeology and fortification works in the Department of Humanitarian Studies, the rector of Khujand State University named after BG Gafurov. The building consists of two small and three large underground halls. In the upper chamber and the lower there are two halls of the exposition, and one underground hall for the museum fund.
The main part of the collection funds constitute archaeological collections and findings obtained in the course of works on the territory of the North-Tajik Khujand archaeological complex expedition Turkmenian Academy of Sciences in 1954-1986, respectively. And the collection fund of the museum has about 1,200 items, almost half of which is exhibited on a permanent basis. The museum exposition is located in the hall area of about 150 m2, and tells about the history and architectural features of the fortifications of Khujand, the life of the fortress in the most different epochs, cultures and occupations of the inhabitants of the city, etc.
The museum holds regular sightseeing tours for schoolchildren and students, and its visit is included in the program of events of the city to celebrate national holidays of Tajikistan.
Address: st. Tamburi, 4. Opening hours: Mon-Fri 8.00-17.00, Sat-Sun 9.00-16.00. Lunch: 12.00-13.00. Paid entrance.
Central Park of Culture and Rest named after Kamal Khujandi
The antiquity of the city especially emphasizes its modernity, profitable shading and giving a romantic flair, combined with a cocktail of scents of flowers, water fountains, light-color, ringing clatter of heels eastern peri with skullcap on his head and wearing a dress with oriental ornaments. It thus appears gaze, located opposite the Historical Museum and the fortress wall in the center of Khujand named Kamal Khujandi Park with its impressive entrance ensemble, which is crowned with 16 columns and capitals, made of local materials, and creates a special greatness.
The ensemble park regenerated and lined with paving stones from the banks of Vakhsh ditch (up XX century flowed near the fortress), there along the evenue in the tree frame, leading to the mausoleum Tajik and Persian poet Mystic, Sufi Sheikh, theologian Kamal Khujandi and earth with a handful brought from the tomb of the poet from Iran Tabriz, the house-museum, which created the conditions for the production of adras and satin - ancient traditions of the Tajik people, and a monument in honor of Kamol. It's easy to not only to touch the history, but also to feel part of it.
Renovated in 2013, Victory Park is located in 18 district of the city on the right bank of the Syr Darya. The major celebrations, festivities and city wide campaigns are held in the park.
Being a long time in a state of neglect, today the park area is improved and refreshed - the avenue lined up with paving slabs, established more than 50 contemporary lighting fixtures, lamps, planted trees and flowers.
In 2011, the park with the central square "moved" the largest in Central Asia, a monument dedicated to the leader of the world proletariat Vladimir Lenin stainless steel height of almost 25 meters with a granite pedestal. The Monument was erected in 1974 in honor of the 50th anniversary of the Tajik Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic (sculptors - N. Shcherbakov, VA Tserkovnikov architect - Gunst I.A). Next to him stands another symbol of the Soviet era - a huge iron hammer and sickle. In addition, a monument was erected for dead-Afghan soldiers of Khojend in the Victory Park and at the foot of it there is an Eternal Flame which burns eternally.
Historical and cultural complex "Istiqlol"
Historical and cultural complex "Istiqlol" is located on the right bank of the Syrdarya, at the intersection of Tashkent Avenue and Ismail Samani.
Historical and cultural complex "Istiqlol" (with Taj. Independence) was built for the 25th anniversary of Tajikistan's independence and was opened in 2016. The height of the complex reaches 53 meters, the outer perimeter of the stele which rotate crown with 7 stars. The complex has a viewing platform with special lifts at an altitude of 21 meters, as well as exhibition and historical and cultural facilities, which posted a map of the Republic of Tajikistan, the shrines and values. The total area of the coplex is 1127 m2.
Tajik Music and Drama Theater named after Kamal Khujandi
Tajik Music and Drama Theater named after Kamal Khujandi was founded in 1932 in Leninabad (present Khojend) in the city's amateur team. Tajik Music and Drama Theater named after Kamal Khujandi today is not only a temple of art, but also a place where you can relax from everyday life, plunging headlong into the magic of theater.
During its existence, it was delivered more than a thousand performances of different genres, and the skill of his company applauded art lovers in Europe and Asia.
The repertoire of the theater these days is diverse. Here you can see the performance of Sadriddin Aini work "Bukhoroi Sharif" ( "Sacred Bukhara"), the comedy "Riot daughters" of the Russian Drama Theater in Dushanbe named after V.V Mayakovsky, in the framework of a tour of the country, the play "Flying doctor" directed by the chief director of the theater of Suhrob Shekhov work, French comedian Jean-Baptiste Moliere of three parts, and more.
Address: Firdowsi street, 140.
Mausoleum of Sheikh Muslihiddin
Memorial complex of Sheikh Muslihiddin is located in the historic part of Khujand and is adjacent to the famous food market "Panchshanbe". The complex is built on the grave of Muslihiddin Khujandi - ruler of the city of Khujand, the poet and healer. The sources say that Muslihiddin Khujand was a miracle-worker, that’s why his followers in the XII century moved the ashes of him from a suburban village Undzhi to the center of the city where a mausoleum was erected in his honor. At first it was just a small burial chamber of burnt brick, which was destroyed during the Mongol invasion.
In the XIV century, newly built mausoleum with a slightly modified layout was already out of two rooms, which also suffered the fate of the original building, but already in the XVI century on the remains of the old mausoleum was built a new building in which prayers and other rituals were held.
Today, the mausoleum of Sheikh Muslihiddin - a two-storey ensemble with an entrance reminiscent of a portal and a wide dome, the center of which is ziyoratkhona (Hall of Remembrance) and the tomb - gurkhona wooden headstone - Saghona, covered with fine geometric carved with floral ornaments and inlays.
The facade of the cathedral mosque of the mausoleum goes out towards the Sharq Street. Free admission.
In 1972 the mausoleum of Sheikh Muslihiddin was included in the register of monuments of history and culture.
National Complex "pilaf Center" (Osh palav)
In 2017, a huge National Complex "pilaf Center" in the area of 625 m2 was opened, consisting of two floors with two halls with 600 seats and parking.
According to the intention of its creators, the center is an ethnic and cultural institution whose mission is to preserve and promote the traditions of cooking pilaf and other Tajik national dishes.
Here one can taste up to 10 kinds of pilaf, drink a cup of green tea with oriental sweets and spend a couple of hours.
By the way, Tajiks has many folk rituals and customs associated with pilaf. For example, in early March in Khujand, Samarkand, Bukhara, each family was preparing pilaf and distributed to neighbors. If the neighbor did not return the plate in response with his pilaf, it was a signal that a neighbor was in misery. Then a wealthy neighbor sent products needed for cooking pilaf to support the poor neighbor. In addition, there was a ceremony to eating plov on the first mustache at a young man (muylaboshi), a young man invitation to the house of his wife (domodtalabon) and others.
Taste the pilaf in Khujand at:
Address: 20 microdistrict, R. Hajiyev Avenue, Building 18.
Khujand cableway serves 160 people at a time, 47 cabins, 7 of which cab service the highest category - 2019 presented Khujand new attraction - the cable car.
Now journey through the city and you can take in the air - more than a kilometer path through the picturesque Syrdarya from Park of Culture and Rest named after Kamal Khujandi to the complex of Ismail Samani.
During road construction special attention was paid to safety and comfort when a strong wind the flight path will stop.
The cable car was built in the framework of the ad 2019-2021 years of development of rural tourism and folk crafts in Tajikistan.
Opening hours: Mon-Sun from 9:00 to 11:00 and from 16:00 to 22:00.
Palace of Culture "Arbob" (Taj. Qasri "Arbob")
The building is of interest not only architecturally, but also a historical point of view.
The construction of the Palace began in 1950-ies of XX century on a hill Kui-Arbob 6 km from the center of Khujand on the model of Peterhof Palace in St. Petersburg in a reduced and modified form. The palace and park ensemble was built through the efforts of twice Hero of Socialist Labor (1948, 1957), the collective farm "Moscow" Chairman Saidhodzha Urunhodzhaev in 1959. The beauty of the architecture of St. Petersburg charmed the heart of Saidhodzha, so in any circumstances he wanted to implement that masterpiece at home.
So, in the midst of gardens and fields, in the style of Stalin classicism spread ensemble of the central building with the lateral hulls. There is a concert hall with a capacity of 800 people, the southern wing is currently ranked Arbob Museum of History and collectivization, which was held in Tajikistan during the Soviet period.
The exterior of the palace according to strict classics: windows, pilasters, columns, creating a clear, calm rhythm. The interior is rich and impressive - ganch carving (gypsum) and painting ornamental designs.
Here in this Palace of "Arbob" was adopted within its walls in 1992, a historic 16th session of the Supreme Council, here was officially declared the republic's independence, as well as selected and approved the flag of Tajikistan.
Since January 2011, by the decision of the chairman of Sughd Province the Palace is under the culture department of the balance of the administration of of Sughd and is considered a historical and cultural heritage of Tajikistan.